Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downunder - Dawn of Night Forum Index -> News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Crazy-train

re: SOE fall down and go boom (serious SOE Credit Card breach)

So I know a lot of you came from SOE games to Rift (and some of us stayed behind) so I figured you'd like to know that SOE got hacked on 4/28 or 4/29 and hackers managed to capture the credit card and personal info of all their Playstation Network users and apparently the backups of their 2007 era SOE (read: station) users.

I would take action to secure your accounts against fraud and be wary of anything looking like it is coming from SOE. Read more at any of the Sony websites (pages are all redirected to their security update [e.g. station.sony.com, eq2players.com, soe.com, etc]).

Equifax (and the other major credit reporting companies) can issue a "Fraud Alert" on your account that would make it harder for others to get credit in your name.

Additionally, SOE games are all offline until they can track down and fix the security flaw that allowed the hackers entry. This means ALL Sony hosted games and their affiliated websites, forums, and account systems.

It will be interesting to see what SOE gives as compensation for this since they can't very well refund monthly subscription fees for all their customers across all games.

Just think of all the games SOE hosts and how many people that accounts to.

Just read the official tally from SOE on their estimate of the number of people whose data was compromised. 77 million Playstation network accounts and 24.6 million Sony Computer Entertainment accounts.

King of the Forum Ma'

Thanks Dj. It's pretty big incident. Doesn't make you feel good about using your credit card details on the internet anyway. This is a sign of the future.

JoolaPrime
Members Mate
King of the Forum Ma'

King of the Forum Ma'

Aethelstun wrote:
Thanks Dj. It's pretty big incident. Doesn't make you feel good about using your credit card details on the internet anyway. This is a sign of the future.

Ha, I couldn't even use either of my credit cards with SoE in the first place. They're black-listed in NZ for an excess of fraudulent transactions. If I want to play their games I have to buy timecards.
Pea_chi

hmm may be worth in future having a $100.00 limit/ day on the card you use for online games. Thanks for the heads up I'm sure someone found this useful. Happy
Crazy-train

Looks like SOE isn't expecting to have game service back up until the end of the month. This is going to be one seriously expensive security breach for Sony and it will be interesting to see if they start cutting some of their games that aren't making them much money anymore. I can see Pirates being the first to go.

It remains to be seen how long the experience bonus is going to last or how much it will be (you know they're going to give one and I'm guessing it will be 3-4x). They've already promised 1 month + downtime worth of free game time for all their customers (which may well total over half a billion dollars when all is said and done). This hacker is going to be toast when they find him.

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum